Compared to many other vegetables, potatoes are very easy to store ingredients. If stored properly, a potato will stay fresh for a month. However, many people often make a few mistakes such as leaving them in the refrigerator or washing the potatoes right after they buy them… This will cause the potatoes to spoil or sprout and have to be discarded. So, apply the tips below to be able to preserve potatoes for longer and not spoil.
1. Check potatoes before storing
To preserve potatoes longer, take a few minutes to sift them carefully. It is best to immediately remove the crushed or damaged tubers to avoid the damage from spreading to other bulbs. In addition, if the tubers have green skin and soft flesh, discard them immediately, they are a sign that the potato is about to sprout. At the same time, during the storage period, you should also check regularly and filter out the bulbs that are showing signs of damage.
2. Keep the potatoes as dry as possible
Many women often have the habit of washing potatoes after returning home and then storing them. However, this will cause the potatoes to become waterlogged, leading to spoilage, or high humidity will stimulate sprouting. Therefore, you should keep potatoes as dry as possible. If the potato is heavily soiled, gently wipe it off with a dry paper towel or use a toothbrush to gently scrub the soil away.
3. Potatoes should not be wrapped in sealed bags
A rule that housewives must know to preserve potatoes longer is to never wrap them in sealed bags. The simplest way is to use mesh bags, vented boxes or open baskets. Then you should layer the potatoes one by one and separate them with a piece of newspaper. At the same time, keep potatoes in a cool, dry place because high humidity is one of the main reasons for potatoes to sprout faster.
4. Do not put potatoes in the refrigerator
It is best to store potatoes at room temperature, as long as they are kept in a cool, dry place. Refrigerator temperatures are usually below 5 degrees Celsius, so potatoes can change in color or taste, making them unsightly when processed and delicious to eat.
5. A few other notes to know when storing potatoes
If you have peeled potatoes, cook them as soon as possible. In case it is not possible to cook immediately, you can put the potatoes in cold water. This way can help them stay as fresh as new after 2-3 days.
– Potatoes should not be placed near fruits such as bananas, apples, pears… These fruits often release a chemical called ethylene… which will cause potatoes to germinate sooner if placed near..
– If you want to make delicious crispy fries, do the following steps: wash, cut into pieces, boil briefly, let cool and finally put in the freezer. Before eating, you just need to defrost the potatoes for about 10 minutes and then fry them as usual.